FREDERICK, Md. - The Hood College baseball team won the opener against Marymount (Va.) 11-5 before falling 10-4 in the nightcap.
The split gave the Blazers a 20-20 record to climb to .500 in just the program's third season.
Cam Esposito reached base five times in game one via three hits and a walk. For the day, he was 4 for 6 with three bases on balls.
HOOD 11, MARYMOUNT 5
- The Blazers scored in each of the first five innings to put the game out of reach.
- Cam Esposito was 3 for 3 in the game, walked twice and scored three times.
- Josh Greenberg went 2 for 4 with a triple and three runs batted in. Jordan Patterson went 2 for 4 and knocked in two.
- Greenberg's two-run triple in the first started the scoring and Brooks Warrenfeltz drove him in with a sacrifice fly to make it 3-0.
- In the second inning, Brad Sawyer had a RBI single and scored in the inning to make it 5-0.
- The Saints chipped the lead to 5-2 with a double by Karlis Graubics in the third, but Hood got the two runs back in the bottom of the inning. Drake Friend drove in a run with a fielder's choice and later scored on a passed ball to make it 7-2.
- The two teams traded runs again in the fourth. After Brandon Savage knocked in a run in the top of the inning, Patterson responded with a RBI single to score Esposito.
- Esposito, Patterson and Greenberg all added RBI singles in the fifth to make it 11-3.
- Dylan Johnson picked up the win with six innings of work, striking out six. Michael Hernandez came on in the seventh and was not charged with a run.
MARYMOUNT 10, HOOD 4
- The teams' fortunes reversed in game two, with the Saints scoring in each of the first three innings to take control.
- Hood pulled within one, 3-2, on a two-run double in the second inning by Eric Turner. Austin Sizemore's two-run double in the top of the third keyed a three-run inning to make it 6-2.
- Alex Staton had a RBI in the fifth and Trent Copenhaver scored on a wild pitch in the seventh to finish the Blazers' scoring.
- Paul Jackson, the first of six pitchers used by Hood in the game, took the loss. Des Grimes pitched 2.1 innings of scoreless relief.
- Sizemore was 2 for 2 and Savage hit a solo home run.
- Max Larrimore picked up the win, allowing two runs in four innings.