MONT ALTO, Pa. - The Hood College baseball team swept a non-conference doubleheader at Penn State-Mont Alto 13-1 and 12-5.
HOOD 13, PSU-MONT ALTO 1
- Neither team scored until a two-run double by Patterson made it 2-0 in the third inning. After the Nittany Lions cut the lead in half in the bottom of the inning, the Blazers scored 11 times over the next three innings to put the game away.
- In the fourth, RBI singles by Brad Sawyer and Patterson fueled a four-run inning that made the score 6-1. Three more runners came home in the fifth, including RBI doubles by Drake Friend and Patterson.
- Leading 9-1 in the top of the sixth, Hood scored four times to seal the win. Dylan Johnson had a run-scoring single to make it a nine-run lead. After a sacrifice fly by Daniel Shepherd, a two-run single from Alex Staton gave the Blazers a 13-1 edge.
- Sawyer went 2 for 3 with two RBIs and three runs scored. Brooks Warrenfeltz and Johnson had two-hit efforts, while Johnson reached base a third time via a walk.
- Johnson improved to 2-0 on the year, allowing one run on six hits. He struck out two. Michael Hernandez and Blake Krisan pitched scoreless innings of relief.
- Matt Taylor had two hits for Mont Alto.
HOOD 12, PSU-MONT ALTO 5
- The Blazers broke open a 1-1 game with a nine-run third inning and never looked back.
- The Nittany Lions took the lead in the bottom of the first, but a RBI triple by Friend knocked in Gall to tie the game in the second.
- Two runs scored on a single by Johnson to open the scoring in the third. Gall followed with a two-RBI base hit to make it 5-1. After an Eric Turner RBI single, Wayne Baldwin drove in a pair with a double for an 8-1 lead. The final two of the inning scored on a ground out by Esposito and a sacrifice fly from Patterson.
- In the fourth, Brooks Warrenfeltz added a RBI double and Gall drove in a run with a single for a 12-1 edge.
- Mont Alto scored twice each in the sixth and seventh innings.
- In addition to Gall's three hits, Esposito had two hits in the win. After taking the lead, Hood turned to the bench and reserves Dylan Beck, Joe Kroeger, Shepherd and Staton all had hits.
- Devine allowed just four hits and two walks in five innings for the win.
- Joel Clabaugh had a two-run double in the sixth for Mont Alto.
Hood travels to Albright on Friday, April 21 for a MAC Commonwealth contest.