Apr 09, 2017
FREDERICK, Md. - The Hood College baseball team took two games from visiting Gallaudet, winning 11-7 and 8-0.
HOOD 11, GALLAUDET 7
- Gallaudet used a six-run second inning to take a 7-3 lead, but the Blazers came back with eight unanswered runs to pick up the win.
- RBI singles by Johnson and Brooks Warrenfeltz and a bases loaded walk by Wayne Baldwin in the first gave Hood a 3-1 lead.
- The Bison responded, however, with a six-run second to take the lead. Austin Silva-Wynne started the rally with a two-run double to tie the game. It was one of three doubles in the inning for Gallaudet.
- Hood began to chip away in the bottom of the inning with three runs. Quinn Fulton walked and later scored on a wild pitch to make it 7-4. A two-run single by Josh Greenberg pulled the Blazers within a run.
- A botched pickoff play in the fifth allowed Drake Friend to score and tied the game at 7-7. Esposito followed with a run-scoring double to give Hood the lead.
- Friend was at the heart of the three-run sixth that allowed Hood to pull away. He drove in two runs with a single and later scored on an error on another failed pickoff.
- Devine was stellar in relief, allowing just one hit and striking out three in 4.1 innings of work.
- Johnson went 3 for 4. Esposito and Nathan Kessler had two hits apiece. Hood walked 13 times in the game, including twice each by Patterson, Greenberg, Daniel Shepherd, Fulton and Josh Gall.
- Dylan Hayes took the loss for Gallaudet.
- Cameron Upton had two hits for the Bison.
HOOD 8, GALLAUDET 0
- A five-run first for the Blazers was more than enough breathing room for Hood's pitching staff.
- Sawyer started and picked up the win with five innings of two-hit ball. Jackson and Fitzgerald each pitched a perfect inning of relief.
- In the first inning, Esposito reached on an error and scored on a double by Patterson. Johnson drove in Patterson and an error let Greenberg score to make it 3-0. Friend hit a two-run double to left for a five-run lead.
- A sacrifice fly by Greenberg in the second inning put Hood in front 6-0. Patterson knocked in a run in the fourth and another RBI single by Johnson finished the scoring in the sixth.
- Esposito, Patterson and Johnson each had two hits.
- Frank Diaz took the loss, allowing eight runs in six innings.
Hood travels to East. Mennonite on Wednesday, April 12.