OWINGS MILLS, Md. - Trailing by four heading into the seventh inning of game two, the Hood College baseball team scored five runs with two outs to take a 10-9 lead at Stevenson. The Mustangs loaded the bases in the bottom of the inning, but the Blazers turned a double play to preserve the win.
Stevenson won the first game of the Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth doubleheader 4-3.
Stevenson 4, Hood 3
- The Blazers' Nate Luscombe and the Mustangs' Dan Williams each tossed complete games, but Williams won the duel.
- Luscombe struck out nine and walked one.
- In addition to Greenberg's three hits, Patterson went 2 for 4.
- RBI singles in the top of the first by Dylan Johnson and Greenberg put Hood in front 2-0.
- Stevenson tied the game in the second and took the lead in the third on a two-run double by Michael Rhodes.
- Greenberg doubled and scored in the sixth on a sacrifice fly by Kessler.
Hood 10, Stevenson 9
- Stevenson led 9-5 heading into the seventh before Hood mounted a comeback.
- With two outs, Johnson scored on an error to make it a three-run game. Two batters later, another error let in a run and a double steal put Esposito and Kessler on second and third, respectively. Patterson followed with a two-run single to tie the game at 9-9. He scored on a RBI single from Brooks Warrenfeltz for the lead.
- Patterson came on to pitch in the bottom of the inning, but the Mustangs drew three walks to load the bases with one out. The sophomore closer got a ground ball to start a 643 double play to pick up the save.
- Kessler led the team with four hits, while Esposito, Johnson and Josh Gall added two apiece. Johnson scored three times.
- Billy Small went 2 for 3 and had two hits in both games. He drove in three in game two.
Hood hosts Gallaudet in a doubleheader on Sunday, April 9 at noon.