FREDERICK, Md. - Each team scored a come-from-behind win as Hood College and Arcadia squared off in a Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth baseball doubleheader. After the Knights captured game one 7-5, the Blazers won the nightcap 5-2.
Travis Schweizer went the distance for the win in game two. He allowed two runs on seven hits and two walks.
Cam Esposito had two hits and two runs scored in each game.
Arcadia 7, Hood 5
- The Knights jumped ahead 3-0 in the top of the first and the lead held until the Blazers answered in the fifth. Hood had five straight hits to start the inning, chasing Arcadia's Jake Lloyd from the game. Wayne Baldwin singled to lead off the inning and moved to third on a double by Drake Friend. Nathan Kessler followed with chopper over the pitcher's head for an infield single, driving in Baldwin. Esposito ripped a two-run triple to tie the game and scored on a RBI single by Jordan Patterson to make it 4-3.
- Arcadia answered with a four-run seventh to reclaim the lead. Jordan Draude doubled in the tying run and scored the go-ahead run. Two more runs came home on a squeeze play before the inning was over for a 7-4 lead.
- A two-out, RBI single by Warrenfeltz drove in Esposito, bu the Blazers could not get closer.
- Jordan Patterson took the loss, allowing four runs in the seventh, only one of which was earned. Nate Luscombe got the start and surrendered three runs on five hits and five walks in 5.2 innings.
- In addition to Esposito's two hits, Baldwin and Friend each had a hit and a walk.
- Ryan Ulrich was the winning pitcher in relief and Chris Keeser had the save.
- Draude and Nick Cardace had two hits apiece.
Hood 5, Arcadia 2
- A four-run fifth proved more than enough run support for Schweizer, who notched his fourth win of the season.
- After Arcadia scored in the top of the first, a RBI single by Dylan Johnson tied the score in the bottom of the inning. Bryan Gillen had a run scoring singley for the Knights in the top of the second to give Arcadia a 2-1 edge.
- The score stood until the Blazers broke the game open in the fifth. Friend walked and moved to third on a base hit by Nathan Kessler. Kessler stole second before Quinn Fulton hit a single through the middle to drive in both runners, giving Hood a 3-2 lead. Fulton stole second and scored on a double by Patterson. Johnson walked with the bases loaded for the final run of the inning, making it 5-2.
- Schweizer needed just a total of 13 pitches to get through the sixth and seventh innings to close the door.
- Fulton and Esposito had two hits apiece for Hood.
Hood travels to Arcadia for a nine-inning game on Sunday, April 2.