Mar 26, 2017
READING, Pa. - The Hood College baseball team dropped both ends of a Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth doubleheader to No. 17 Alvernia 11-1 and 6-2.
Alvernia 11, Hood 1
- Patterson scored in the top of the first on a passed ball to give Hood a 1-0 lead.
- Nathan Sides had extra-base hits in the first and third innings and scored later in both innings as the Crusaders went ahead 2-1.
- Hood trailed 3-1 heading into the bottom of the fifth. Alvernia drew six walks in the inning, opening the door for eight runs to put the game out of reach.
- Patterson was 2 for 3 with a stolen base. Dylan Johnson had the Blazers' only other hit in the game.
- Ryan Atkinson took the loss, allowing three runs in four innings. He struck out three, walked two and gave up five hits.
- Sides went 3 for 4 and was a home run short of the cycle. He scored three times and drove in two. Ryan Sheekey picked up the win, allowing one run on two hits and a walk.
Alvernia 6, Hood 2
- After the Crusaders took a 1-0 lead in the first, Hood tied the game in the second. Three straight singles by Johnson, Wayne Baldwin and Drake Friend loaded the bases. Eric Turner followed with a sacrifice fly to score Johnson.
- In the fourth inning, three Hood errors fueled a five-run inning for Alvernia, resulting in a 6-1 lead.
- A RBI single by Josh Greenberg in the seventh knocked in Daniel Shepherd for Hood's second run.
- Baldwin went 2 for 3 and Friend had a hit and a walk.
- Sawyer tossed his first career complete game, allowing just two earned runs.
- Sides and Cameron Coons had two hits apiece for Alvernia.
- Nicholas Marotta pitched six innings for the win. He struck out four, walked one and gave up five hits.
Hood hosts McDaniel on Wednesday, March 29.