ANNVILLE, Pa. - The Hood College baseball team dropped game one, but rebounded to win the nightcap at Lebanon Valley in Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth play.
The Dutchmen took game one 11-3, with the Blazers claiming game two 3-1.
Lebanon Valley 11, Hood 3
- The Dutchmen scored in each of the first four innings to take command of the game.
- Hood trailed 2-0 after the first inning, but Wayne Baldwin singled to drive in Johnson to bring the Blazers within a run. The Dutchmen stretched the lead to 6-1 with a four-run second.
- In the fourth, Hood's reserves got some at bats and cut into the deficit. Joe Kroeger picked up his first career hit to lead off the inning. Brad Sawyer and Eric Turner followed with base hits, with Kroeger coming home on Turner's single. Sawyer later scored on a ground out by Kessler to make it 7-3.
- Two-run innings for LVC in the fourth and sixth put the game out of reach.
- Nate Luscombe took the loss for Hood. Ryan Atkinson, Michael Hernandez, Tanner Shore and Paul Jackson all pitched in relief.
- Trent Copenhaver singled in the seventh for his first career hit.
- Joshua Marcelli had three hits for LVC. Casey Sell picked up the win, pitching five innings.
Hood 3, Lebanon Valley 1
- Travis Schweizer pitched 5.1 innings of one-run baseball to help Hood to the win.
- The Blazers scored all three of their runs in the fourth to break a scoreless tie. Josh Greenberg and Johnson singled to lead off the inning and both runners scored on a triple by Patterson. Friend drove in Patterson to make it 3-0 later in the inning.
- Leading 3-1 in the seventh, Patterson moved to the mound with a runner on and no outs. After a fly out, he got Marshall Kiessling to hit a grounder to Copenhaver to start a 643 double play to end the game.
- Johnson and Patterson each had two hits.
- Schweizer picked up the win, with Marcelli taking the loss.
Hood travels to No. 17 Alvernia for a MAC Commonwealth doubleheader on Sunday, March 26.