FREDERICK, Md. - Hood College took the lead in the bottom of the eighth, but a two-run ninth by Lebanon Valley defeated the Blazers 6-5 in Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth baseball action.
Inside the Box Score
- Jordan Patterson had his first career three-hit game.
- Cam Esposito scored twice and stole a base.
- Jake Franke allowed two earned runs in five innings. Conor Henniges, one of four relievers for Hood, took the loss.
How it Happened
- Hood trailed 4-3 heading with two outs in the bottom of the eighth and no one on. Patterson singled with two outs to start a rally. Pinch hitter Wayne Baldwin followed and singled to the pitcher, but a late throw was wild and went down the right field line. Patterson came all the way around to score on the error, tying the game at 4-4. Drake Friend hit a RBI single up the middle, knocking in Baldwin for a one-run lead.
- In the top of the ninth, Chase Weik and Micheal Leri walked with one out. Pinch hitter Nick O'Shea singled to tie the game at 5-5. Michael Puglisi tied the game with a RBI single for a 6-5 lead.
- Earlier, the Blazers scored twice in the first two take the lead. Esposito doubled to lead off the inning, stole third and scored on a ground out by Josh Greenberg. Patterson added a run-scoring single to make it 2-0.
- The Dutchmen cut the lead in half in the third and an error in the fourth allowed two runs to score to give Lebanon Valley a 3-2 lead.
- Both teams scored single runs in the fifth. Joshua Marcelli drove in a run in the top of the inning and Josh Gall added a sacrifice fly in the bottom half.
- Zac Edwards, Marshall Kiessling and Marcelli each had two hits for Lebanon Valley, including doubles by Edwards and Kiessling.
- Casey Wall went seven innings, allowing three runs on seven hits, but did not factor into the decision. Dylan Stephen pitched the eighth to pick up the win and Philip Berry recorded a save.
Hood travels to Lebanon Valley for a doubleheader on Saturday, March 25.