FREDERICK, Md. - Hood College took an early four-run lead on No. 17 Alvernia, but the Crusaders came back for a 12-6 win in the Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth opener for both teams.
Inside the Box Score
- Josh Greenberg went 2 for 3 with his first career home run, a solo shot in the first inning. He reached base a third time via a walk.
- Dylan Johnson was 2 for 2 with a double and a walk.
- Nate Luscombe took the loss. He allowed six earned runs in three innings.
- Jahlin Jean-Baptiste, Connor Henniges, Jordan Patterson and Riley Fitzgerald each pitched scoreless relief.
How it Happened
- Facing the Crusaders' John Catchmark, who entered the game with an ERA of 0.53, Greenberg slugged a two-out home run in the first for a 1-0 lead.
- The Blazers scored three more against the righty in the second. Johnson led off the inning with a double and scored on a RBI groundout by Nathan Kessler. Drake Friend, Dylan Beck and Cam Esposito followed with back-to-back-to-back triples for a 4-0 lead after two innings.
- A two-run double in the third helped Alvernia pull within 4-3. Cameron Coons added another two-run double in the fourth as part of a five-run inning to make it 8-4.
- The Crusaders scored once in the fifth before another RBI double by Coons during a three-run seventh for a 12-4 edge.
- In the ninth, Brooks Warrenfeltz had a RBI single and an error on the play allowed another run to score to make it 12-6. The hit was the 100th of Warrenfeltz's career, joining Esposito in the 100-hit club. Earlier in the ninth, Will Stachura had his first career hit.
- Catchmark picked up win despite allowing four runs in six innings on six hits and three walks. Michael Griffin went three innings for the save.
- Nathan Sides was 5 for 6 at the plate with a triple. Coons went 3 for 5, drove in four and scored three times.
Hood will look to get back into the win column on Tuesday, March 21 when they travel to Christendom for the first game in school history for the Crusaders.