FREDERICK, Md. - Hood College's Cam Esposito pulled a pitch down the first baseline with two outs in the bottom of the seventh inning of game two to beat Catholic and sunset in an 8-7 victory. The win was payback after the Cardinals took game one in extra innings 4-2.
The junior had five hits on the day in 10 at bats. Warrenfeltz added a 4 for 7 line with a walk and two runs batted in.
GAME ONE: CATHOLIC 4, HOOD 2 (8 INNINGS)
Inside the Box Score
- Dylan Johnson and Brooks Warrenfeltz each reached base three times via two hits and a walk.
- Esposito went 2 for 5 and Josh Gall walked twice.
- Nate Luscombe turned in a strong performance on the mound. The sophomore went six innings, allowing just seven hits and a walk while striking out five in a no decision.
How it Happened
- A sacrifice fly by Brennan Cotter brought home Christian Jones to break a 2-2 tie in the top of the eighth. Catholic added an insurance run on a wild pitch as Jack Hennessy came home.
- The Cardinals scored their first two runs on a home run by Anthony Ferlise in the second inning. After the long ball, Luscombe settled in and retired 13 of the next 16 batters he faced.
- In the bottom of the fifth, one-out singles by Esposito and Warrenfeltz and a walk by Gall loaded the bases. Johnson followed with a two-run single to left center to tie the game at 2-2.
- The Blazers had a chance to win the game in the bottom of the seventh. Warrenfeltz led off with a walk, Johnson singled with one out and a two-out hit by Drake Friend loaded the bases. Catholic's Mark Duffy was able to pitch his way out of the jam, sending the teams to extra innings.
- Duffy picked up the win with three innings of scoreless relief. Connor Henniges took the loss. In two innings of relief, he surrendered two runs on two hits and struck out two.
- Cotter went 3 for 3 in the game with a double. Ferlise and Paul Burmester had two hits apiece.
GAME TWO: HOOD 8, CATHOLIC 7
Inside the Box Score
- Esposito went 3 for 5, scored once and drove in the game-winner.
- Wayne Baldwin, Jordan Patterson and Warrenfeltz each had two hits. Baldwin and Warrenfeltz doubled, while Patterson walked to reach base a third time in the game.
How it Happened
- With daylight running out fast and the teams tied at 7-7, Hood rallied in the bottom of the seventh. Nate Kessler singled. With two outs, the sophomore stole second. After a base hit by Patterson moved Kessler to third, Esposito ended the game with a single down the first baseline.
- Catholic had tied the game in the top of the inning when Cotter doubled in Jones to make it 7-7.
- The two teams traded runs all game. Ferlise and Brett Padula had run-scoring singles in the second to put the Cardinals ahead 3-0.
- After Hood pulled within 3-2, a two-run homer by Cotter made it a three-run game.
- The Blazers tied the game in the fourth. Eric Turner pinch hit and led off with a walk. With two outs, Esposito singled and both runners came home on a double by Warrenfeltz. After a pitching change, Gall doubled home Warrenfeltz to tie the game at 5-5.
- The Cardinals scored once in the top of the fifth, but two runs in the bottom half gave Hood its first lead of the day. Dylan Beck drove in Baldwin with a single and scored on a base hit by Patterson to make it 7-6.
- Travis Schweizer picked up the win with 0.2 innings of relief. Sean Carey took the loss, pitching the final 0.2 innings.
- Cotter continued his hot hitting, going 4 for 4 with a homer, three runs batted in and three runs scored.
Hood hosts Lancaster Bible on March 1 at 3 p.m.